Copenhagen | Höst

February 09, 2017

Host is a lovely New Nordic restaurant that uses local ingredients and unique preparation & presentation methods I haven't seen anywhere else. Definitely the highlight of my Copenhagen trip. We ordered two each of the set menus: Höst Menu at 325kr and Höst Signature Menu at 425kr. They have new menus each month.


The interior has a really nice cozy, natural vibe. I love this rustic type of style.


To start, we had this lovely amuse bouche platter - squid ink chips, fresh radish, oyster cream, egg yolk topped with fish roe, fresh beans with mussel cream. Wow! This was my favorite of the night and an excellent indicator of the delicate, unique dishes to follow.

Aside from the 3 courses in the set menu, they gave us an additional 3 in-between courses which I actually liked more than the set menu. 

Complementary in-between dishes:

Forgot the name of this but it was like a salty, seaweed-ish flavoured "bread" with a bit of chewiness. The salted butter is amazing.

Mini rye and oatmeal rolls with wheatgrass butter ~ the butter was so creamy!

Squid/Octopus with cabbage and poached egg yolk in chicken broth ~ one of my favorites of the night. Such a delicate soup, with layers of ingredients.

Now onto the Host menu that I ordered: 

Seared flounder 
kohl rabi, spinach and parsley 
and an oystersauce 


Pork bellies 
tomato, cress 
and sauce choron 

My least favorite of the meal. Didn't like the batter on the pork and the cheese was a bit overpowering.

Corn ice cream 
raspberries, popcorn 
and yoghurt with chanterelles 

This was the dish that drew my attention to come here. Definitely very strong corn flavour!

Complementary Pre-Dessert:

Junket mousse with porter beer ice cream and freeze dried rye and raspberries

All these unique icecream flavours ~ mindblown ~

Signature Menu:

Norwegian Lobster and veal terrine  
with white asparagus 
and cep mushrooms 

Beef tenderloin from Grambogård 
with salted black currant, beetroot, cress 
and sauce with marrow and terragon 

This is really interesting! Unfortunately I only took a video of the inside but it's essential steak covered in beetroot. The strong, sour taste of the beet complements the steak.

Blueberry sorbet 
with brown cheese and cicely 
og sødskærm 

Overall, this is the most interesting gastronomic experience I've had in my life. Each bite had that 'wow' factor that made my eyes and tastebuds light up. While not every dish was perfectly delicious, they were definitely something new and worth trying. We recommended this place to a friend who found it too salty, but I still would recommend this as a unique dining experience with new flavours and ingredients you can't find anywhere else! (esp in Canada)

* Dish names copied from Host website/Yelp reviews since I didn't take notes while dining. Need to document right away next time since by now I have forgotten the names/ingredients! :( *







You Might Also Like

0 comments