Summerlicious: Canoe

July 25, 2011

Summerlicious 2011
July 24, 2011
$25 Lunch
66 Wellington St W, 54th Floor
Toronto Dominion Bank Tower

Contemporary yet warm atmosphere overlooking downtown Toronto


The complementary bread was soft and delicious plain, with butter or paired with the lemon chickpea spread.


I couldn’t resist ordering a drink ($10). It basically tasted like chocolate milk with alcohol – sweet, with a kick.

Appetizer - New Farm Green Salad: Nam Prik Cucumbers, Toasted Sesame Seeds & Avocado Dressing.

Entree - Pan Fried Great Lakes Walleye with Snow Peas, Rutabaga Slaw & Caper Horseradish Vinaigrette. It was so delicious. I enjoyed every part of the dish as it used all the ingredients I love. I was hesitant to order white fish because often it turns out dry and bland, but this one was cooked perfectly with a nice crisp skin. The texture of the fish is similar to sea bass, but perhaps with even more oil, making it moist and flavorful. The fish was paired with green beans and pea shoots, which I enjoyed since I love green leafy vegetables, but my mom thought the stems were too thick. The rutabaga slaw was crisp and gave a nice tangy flavour to complement the fish. The portion size was quite generous – I was full after one piece and it really is a good deal given the price and quality.


I had one piece of the Wellington County Flatiron Steak and it was so tender with prominent beef flavour.


Yukon Gold Potato Gnocchi


Dessert - Canoe Pecan Tart with Cherries & Crème Fraîche Ice Cream. I’m not a big fan of tarts (or their dessert selection), but the pecans were good alongside the icecream and berries. Mom and sister thought it was a bit too sweet and heavy.

While savouring my meal, I realized it definitely is worth it for $25 lunch to try more high-end and well-known restaurants compared to $20 for average restaurants. You get what you pay for and more, in terms of food quality, service and ambience. Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Canoe and it definitely lives up to its hype.



Canoe Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon

You Might Also Like

0 comments