Day TUM: Toronto Underground Market 1st Birthday

October 03, 2012

September 30 2012

Evergreen Brick Works
http://yumtum.ca/

Lobster Roll, $4 each @ Rock Lobster Food Co.
I was most looking forward to trying Lobster Rolls from Rock Lobster Food Co. There's so much hype over lobster rolls these days. Ever since I saw lobster rolls with big chunks of lobster and mayo on dinner rolls on Eat St., I've been wanting to try them, but this was different from what I expected. For $4 each, it was a tiny portion and couldn't really taste the lobster since it was all chopped up. The bread was okay since it was slightly burnt, but overall this roll had no taste - no wonder people were putting sriracha sauce on it! 

Churros w goat milk caramel, $3 @ La Carnita
First time trying Churros @ La Carnita. I always thought they're like cinnamon sticks, but they are harder with a crispy sugar coating. The warm caramel sauce was amazing.. I don't usually like caramel but this wasn't too sweet nor too thick, paired perfectly with the churros! If only there were more churros to finish up the sauce! This was my favorite of the food I tried. Must go to the restaurant soon to try the tacos and corn.

Curry Beef Samosa, $2 @ Mama Nashi
Fresh out of the fryer, this samosa was hot and crispy without being oily. The curry beef filling was not too spicy and had small chunks of potato just the way I like it (vs. being mashed up). A nice kick with the sweet/spicy tamarind sauce. 


Huge paella @ Pimenton. They were having technical difficulty at first but glad everything worked out. 

Seafood Paella, $5 @ Pimenton
For $5 this was a good deal considering I had 5 large shrimp, mussels, calamari and rice (compared to the tiny lobster roll). The flavor was too spicy for me but the portion size and seafood was great and it was warm and filling.

My first TUM event - it was pretty neat being at an event full of foodies! I'd expected more variety in food vendors (most were desserts/baked goods), but maybe there were more at night. Being a business grad, I love entrepreneurship and seeing the different vendors and how they started out, combining their passion for food into a small business!

You Might Also Like

0 comments