Momofuku Noodle Bar (TO)

October 10, 2012

190 University Ave. 


I've wanted to try Momofuku ever since I read about the famous NYC restaurant a few years ago, so like many others, I was anticipating the opening of the Toronto location. Luckily there was no wait when I went over the long weekend. Simple glass building beside the Shangri-La.


The space feels like a cabin to me with the light wood and Canadian country-type music, and the servers wear regular clothes (no uniforms). A few communal tables and seating by the window, the back wall and the kitchen/bar area. Upstairs are the other three Momofuku restaurants - Nikai (bar/lounge), Daisho (family style sharing dishes) and Shoto (tasting menu).

Pork Buns ($10 for 2)
Of course I had to try the famous Pork Buns. It was very warm and felt very 'homey' when I bit into it. The pork belly is soft and does fall apart/melt in your mouth to an extent, the bun is soft and everything tied together with the hoisin sauce (kind of like Peking duck). I think it could use more scallions and cucumbers - could not taste/see it in mine.

Momofuku Ramen ($15)
The noodles were unlike anything I've eaten before - firm and slightly salty. The broth was quite oily and salty after the first few spoons. The pork shoulder and pork belly (2 pieces) were both soft, and the pickled cabbage and scallions add a good kick to cut into the fattiness/saltiness of the noodles and soup. It didn't look like it at first, but it's a pretty large and filling portion and overall it was too salty and oily. 

Kimchi Stew ($16)
Tried a bit of this and it doesn't taste like traditional kimchi. Looks thick and oily and the daikon was hard but I like the rice cakes!

Overall, I have to say that taste-wise it's not that great, but the whole concept is very refreshing and new. It's definitely a unique dining experience with a modern take on Korean, Chinese and Japanese dishes. The dishes may look Korean/Chinese/Japanese, but when you taste it, it's a different story - different in a good way, though some areas of execution can be improved. From the lucky peach name and logo to the creative twist on simple noodles and buns, it all comes down to branding and I think Momofuku is successful because it has created a niche, especially in Toronto where we need more variety and crave for something different.



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. The ramen looks incredibly plain compared to what Sansotei and Kinton offers. I actually haven't heard anyone praise Momofuku's bowl yet, which is a bit of a let down for their noodle bar. Still waiting for more reviews on their tasting menu upstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't enjoy my ramen from Momofuku when I had them in NYC. However, I am still reminiscing about the pork belly buns.

    ReplyDelete