Bangkok Photo Diary

June 01, 2013


May 9-10, 2013

Bangkok: Hot. Traffic. Sawadeeka. Massage. Thai Iced Lemon Tea. Fresh Mangoes/Fruit. Tom Yum Goong. Shopping. Culture. Explore.

My luggage didn't arrive until the second morning so I was pretty upset. Had a quick bite at McDonald's/Paragon food court (Thai iced tea & tuna pie... Asia McD's > North American) then bought some essentials instead of leisure shopping. Felt better after my two hour Thai/aroma massage and a good dinner at Greyhound Cafe. Second day was spent on a private tour to Train Market, Floating Market and Tiger Temple, followed by another massage. Didn't get to ride gondola in Venice, but I think this is more interesting - relaxing and buying food/merchandise from the vendors. There is one 'mama' (old lady) who paddles her boat for two hours to get to the main market.

Bangkok is such a culturally/historically rich city. (It used to be called Siam - hence Siamese twins, Siamese cats...) I thought it would be pretty underdeveloped, but in the tourist area where we stayed (Courtyard Marriot - highly recommend), it was surprising to see it much like any other metropolitan city with its abundance of large malls, luxury brands and sky bridges (although the locals I saw were still low income). Of course, a few hours out to the markets and it's such a contrast. I wish I had more time to explore Terminal 21 - pretty unique mall with airport theme and small independent shops. Overall a very well-rounded and enjoyable trip.

Next stop: Hua Hin.

You Might Also Like

0 comments