Aventura

March 03, 2016

[Coca] Flatbread ~ creamed mushrooms, crushed red pepper, soft egg, arugula salad

Decided to add this last minute and I'm glad we did cos it ended up being my fav second to the paella. Thin flatbread and strong cheese which overpowered the mushroom, but still good.

Paella ~ mussels, clams, shrimp, chicken, chorizo, peppadew peppers, potatoes, olives, sofrito

The lightest paella I've ever had - not salty like the others, probably because the absence of saffron. The chicken was in large pieces and very moist, while the shrimp had a nice grill flavor. I loved the sweetness and heat from the peppadew peppers, and just a little hit of salty from the olives. I usually like the seafood the best, but these ingredients really shined in this dish. As my sister said, each ingredient has its own unique flavor which the rice absorbs and complements.

Patatas Bravas ~ First time having patatas bravas in fries form rather than cubes. It didn't have any tomato sauce as I expected, but the aioli and egg were good. 






The octopus was the most disappointing. I've had versions from soft to chewy/bouncy to tough and overcooked, but this texture was just off (mui). like a mushy ground meat? Is it just me or is this the way it's meant to be?  The flavor was okay though - spicy, with paprika, oregano and fingerling potatoes. The mushrooms were cooked in dry sherry, chili flake and garlic - kind of plain but spicy. 


Pimiento de Shishito ~ Classic charred peppers with a nice coat of sea salt, not spicy. 
Gambas al Ajillo ~ Can't tell what sauce the shrimp was - tasted like soy-sauce based. 

Arroz Con Leche de Coco ~ coconut milk, calaspara rice, lime leaf, cinnamon, vanilla, brûléed sugar

For dessert, we shared a rice pudding. Mmm, loved the sugar top (like creme brulee) and the coconut milk flavor. The texture of the rice reminded me of sweet congee. Maybe I am used to having rice desserts with glutinous rice, or even sago would be more fitting for my Asian taste buds. 

Back in Ann Arbor over the weekend and had tapas for dinner! Made a reservation for 8:45 but still wasn't seated until 9 or so - very busy restaurant. We were seated in the basement 'lounge'  which had four tables and had a cave/cabin feel. Best of the night was the paella and I enjoyed the mushroom flatbread as well. First time having rice pudding and it was a nice suprise and treat to end the meal. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments