Fin Izakaya

June 16, 2012



Complementary fried spaghetti ~ crunchy and salty

Blowtorched Mackerel ($8)
My fav- I love mackerel!! This was half cooked (server blowtorches it at the table); it tasted a bit like canned tuna. Good with the ginger/green onion or with the slightly sweet soy sauce.

Tuna Tataki
Seared tuna with a dollop of mayo and some onions on top. The salad on the bottom was really salty since it soaked up all the sauce.

Chicken Wings (Rock Salt) ($3.50/5 pcs)
There's not a lot of meat, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well it was fried, although mom thought it wasn't as juicy as the ones she had in Vancouver. I liked the crispy rock salt skin with lemon juice.

Takoyaki ($5.75)
Nice and hot, crispy outside, mushy and floury inside. Personally I prefer takoyaki with actual octopus pieces inside and less floury.

Carbonara Udon 
 Sister's udon. Tried a bite and I liked it - buttery and cheesy!

Pork Belly Skewers (Salt) ($3/pc)
You can very clearly taste - and even smell - the grill flavor! Very flavorful, though could be even more juicy/tender.

Beef Sukiyaki ($12.50)
Squid sashimi
The portion was very tiny. The squid was in a spicy-sour sauce.

Sake clams ($7.50)
 Broth was salty with a hint of sake taste.

Deep Fried Shrimp
Nothing special.

Service: The servers are very polite and attentive. They crouch down to take orders and are quick to change plates and refill tea. 

Overall, the taste and quality is good for Toronto izakaya. The selection of tapas is more traditional compared to Guu.

Recommendations: Mackerel and Pork Belly Skewers!


Fin Izakaya on Urbanspoon

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Hi, Joie.

    Thanks for following me on Instagram :D

    Your blog is very nice and I am now drooling :D

    Have a nice day!

    Cheers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh so that's what Fin looks like inside :) I still have yet to visit this place. Been on my list for a while now, but I'm not in midtown often enough to try it. Sad to hear about the takoyaki since I'm such a big fan of it.. but will definitely keep the pork belly skewers in mind *___*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yum! I am super compelled to try the udon as well as the pork and mackerel skewers. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that looks good! How was the price of this place??

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's quite expensive like most izakaya places ($3-$10 for most small plates) I added prices for some of the items. :)

    ReplyDelete